When a loved one dies, people experience a wide range of emotions. The intensity and changeableness of these feelings often surprise us and can even lead to our behave differently than we have in the past. Other times, we find ourselves struggling internally; no one else knows, but we do.
We need a support system to help us as we journey through the grief. But what do we do when the support of those around us is not enough -- or they don't understand or can't relate to what we're going through?
A grief support group offers fellowship with and understanding from others who have experienced a similar loss and are facing the challenges that come with living with grief. In the group, we don't try to fix each other, but we care for and support one another as we journey forward together -- and maybe find a strength that is greater than our own.
- Kaneohe - Meets at Aloha Nursing and Rehab Center (45-545 Kamehameha Hwy, Kaneohe 96744) on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, 10 am. Contact is Colleen, email@example.com.
- Kapolei - Meets at Ilima at Leihano (739 Leihano Street, Kapolei 96707) on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday, 6 pm. Contact is John, firstname.lastname@example.org, 808 202-3478.
- Honolulu - Meets at the Islands Hospice office (1301 Young St, Honolulu 96814) on the 1st Tuesday, 6 pm. Contact is Jackie, email@example.com.
- Magic Island - Meets on the beach on the 1st and 3rd Thursday at 9 am. Bring your beach chair or towel as the group meets on the grassy area behind Lifeguard Station 'E.' Contacts are Elizabeth, firstname.lastname@example.org or Jackie, email@example.com.
- We also have a group that gardens together and talks with one another on the 3rd Wednesday from 9:15 am - 12 pm at Ho'oulu 'Aina (Healing through the Land). Optional meet up at 9 am at Kam Shopping Center (1620 N School St, Honolulu 96817) to head over together. Contact is Lurline, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have trouble getting connected, feel free to call the Islands Hospice office (808-550-2552) and ask for Barry Wong, Director of Bereavement Services.