Our commitment to families continues, even after a loved one dies. We recognize that loss and grief are often challenging, and we are ready to help. We offer a variety of resources, including:
- grief support groups
- self-guided resources in our grief lending library
- face-to-face visits with a bereavement counselor
- memorial activities
- referral to more specialized grief resources in the community (e.g. those who help children work through grief or experts in helping those who have struggled with substance abuse)
For a free, helpful introduction to dealing with the death of a loved one, click here.
Why Consider a Grief Support Group?
When a loved one dies, we may experience a wide range of emotions -- some of them surprising in their intensity and changeableness. We may find ourselves acting differently than we have in the past. Or we may struggle internally; no one else knows, but we do. In either circumstance or somewhere in between, a support system can be invaluable as we journey through grief.
But what if the support of those around us is not enough, or they can't relate to what we're going through?
A grief support group offers fellowship with and understanding from others who have experienced a similar loss and are facing the challenges that come as a result of living with grief. It's a safe place to share honestly, to care for and support one another as we journey forward together -- and maybe to find a strength that is greater than our own.
- Kaneohe - Meets at Aloha Nursing and Rehab Center (45-545 Kamehameha Hwy, Kaneohe 96744) on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, 10 am. Contact is Colleen, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kapolei - Meets at Ilima at Leihano (739 Leihano Street, Kapolei 96707) on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday, 6 pm. Contact is Paul, email@example.com.
- Honolulu - Meets at the Islands Hospice office (1301 Young St, Honolulu 96814) on the 1st Tuesday, 6 pm. Contact is Jackie, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Magic Island - Meets on the beach on the 1st and 3rd Thursday at 9 am. Bring your beach chair or towel as the group meets on the grassy area behind Lifeguard Station 'E.' Contacts are Elizabeth, email@example.com or Jackie, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wailuku, Maui - Meets at 432 Waiehu Beach Road on the first Wednesday of every month 9;30 am.
- We also have a group that gardens together and talks with one another on the 3rd Wednesday from 9:15 am - 12 pm at Ho'oulu 'Aina (Healing through the Land). Optional meet up at 9 am at Kam Shopping Center (1620 N School St, Honolulu 96817) to head over together. Contact is Lurline, email@example.com.
If none of these work for your schedule or you have trouble getting connected, feel free to call the Islands Hospice office (808.550.2552) and ask for one of us in the Bereavement department. We would be honored to help. --Sally Handley, Director of Bereavement Services